Monday, January 12, 2009
Basketball
Saturday night Tara played two basketball games. The first was against Snow Canyon (always a great game). This time we won by two points. The second game was against a club team. My understanding is that they have girls playing over a few years in age. They are from all over. One of their players is from Las Vegas. She is well over six feet tall, and a very large sturdy built girl. She played opposite Tara. From the beginning, she seemed to have some anger issues. Tara was out playing her, getting the rebounds, taking the ball from her, out running her, etc. We could see the frustration on her face. Rex hollered down at the referees to please keep the game in control so we did not get any injuries. They told him to just be quiet. Soon after that, Tara again out played the girl and in anger she took her arm and with all her strength threw it back and hit Tara in the throat with her elbow. Tara is a sturdy girl who does not get pushed around easily, but with the force of the blow it sent her right tot he ground. I knew right away that she was hurt. Rex and I belted to the floor. The question was raised if the air had been knocked out of her. I said no.. it is her throat. It was swelling up and she was fighting to breath. The pain she was in was intense. I have learned one thing about her. She plays many sports and with that comes injuries. She does not complain. So when she does, I sit up and take notice. We felt she needed medical help. Her friend Cori (who is also a player on the team) was right by us kneeling on the floor, asked if she could come. Chad and Beth had just arrived and came as well. We took off for the insta care. When we arrived Rex called out as we walked in that we needed immediate help, the doctor came right out and took her back with him, The doctor let all of us go back with her, which was a great comfort to Tara. They put ice on her throat to get the swelling down. He checked to make sure all was in tact. It was!! Thank heavens. So now the job was to control the swelling so it did not cut off her airway. She had a tremendous amount of pain in her throat and neck. After being there for quite some time and being thoroughly checked out, they found that she did not have any permanent damage. But, will be very sore for a while. Playing in sports is very fun and there is much that can be learned from them, but at times it can be difficult. Tara is terrified to play against that girl again. I will make sure that does not happen. We are very quiet spectators. But, if a game is not controlled again, we will make more of a commotion to the referees. Our first priority is to protect our daughter.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Gosh...how scary. I'm so sorry. I sure hope she recovers quick.
Wow! Tara is tough I think I would just quit basketball altogther if I were her. I hope the refs learned a lesson and will actually do what they are hired to do from now on. To bad they had to learn the hard way and at Tara's expense.
How scary! Hope she is feeling better.
Yikes! Glad she is okay. This is one thing that I am nervous about with kids gettng older and playing sports. Hard to watch!
Post a Comment